Tuesday 28 August 2007

Life is precious

There are things that happen in life that stop and make you think, look at your life and count your blessings, even make you angry with God but through it all life is precious.

My friend Debbie found what i guess is every women's nightmare a lump in her breast, and saw here GP then a consultant all of who thought chances were that it was a fatty lump nothing to worry about. But they did a biopsy to make sure but we thought it would come back OK. But unfortunately it didn't and she has been diagnosed with breast cancer. A complete shock to us all but it does look like they have caught it early and the prognosis is good but she still faces surgery and radiotherapy and then waiting for the all clear. Like me she is a nurse and i think finding it hard to be a patient and hard being off work. I cant imagine how she feels. I now i am upset schocked and a little bit angry and aware of how fortunate i am especially when i see Abigail. I wish somehow i could take her pain away, i guess take away all of this. I have tried to be there for here but I'm sure i didn't help when she told me as i was so shocked by the news and all the skills i would have had with a patient deserted me when it was someone i care about.

She is just about to celebrate her first wedding anniversary and this in a way means there lives are on hold. I am also friends with her sister and when i spoke to her yesterday she was asking me questions a lot of which i didn't no the answers to and it got me thinking and worrying even more. But there will always be so many what ifs and buts in life and uncertainties in life if this reminds me off anything it is how precious the gift of life is and how much we need to live for the moment and enjoy life. I would ask though if you can that you would spare a thought and prayer for deb and her family. As for me i am holding on to the same bible verse that gave me so much help when dad died that everything happens for a reason.

Lorna

No comments: