Thursday 22 February 2007

Memories

When Ste started this blogs it was to let people now all the news about Abigail particularly at the time of her birth. Since then its become a record of memories of the things we have done as a family and Abigail's news, which we thought would be nice for her to look back on. So i thought long and hard as so far we have recorded happy and funny events but it seems only right we remember other things as well.

My dad passed away on Sunday suddenly but peacefully at home. And while at the moment it leaves a big gap in all our lives we are remembering the happy times and were glad dad didn't suffer but slipped away quietly at home. I know dad is at peace now he has escaped from his pain and he is safe. But were all so glad that my dad got his dearest wish and became a grandad. My dad loved children and for years he has asked when you going to get married so i can have grandchildren. And before Abi arrived he kept saying find out if its a girl or a boy so i can know whether to buy a doll or a train set, but we all knew it didn't matter and if Abi had wanted a train set my dad would have got her one. I can remember dad used to sing Daddy's little girl to me and when i moved up here he made a tape of special songs he wanted me to have and that was the first song. He drove people mad until he managed to borrow a copy to record it. It a diverse selection from daddy's little girl to Albert Osbourne but there all songs that dad picked for a reason either cause they described feelings or because he wanted to give me advice and support. I can also remember him coming here one Saturday afternoon while i was still pregnant clutching a cd of bedtime songs and lullaby's, i was firmly told it wasn't for me but for spud. Well Abigail has listened to the cd and i will make sure she knows just who gave it her. Perhaps we should carry on the tradition and make a tape for Abi.

I have spoken to lots of people over the last few days and shared many memories a lot relating to my dads awful jokes and his love of telling stories unfortunately often the same ones, but the one comment i will treasure is that off my 8year old godson who simply said he was a nice man. At the moment i don't quite know what else to say other than i loved dad and i promise to share the special memories with Abi. And to say thank you to Abi because she has been such a blessing to us and particularly to my mom. Thank you for all for the cards and messages we have received and particularly for all those who have prayed for us, it has helped us and in particularly my mom so much.

3 comments:

Heather's place said...

Lorna

Thanks for posting about your Dad - I didn't really know him but it's lovely to read how you feel about him.

You are blessed if you know, and others know too, that your Dad was a nice man.

It must be great to have happy memories to share at such a sad time.

I'm glad too that Abi is there to bring you all joy.

None of that will take away the grief and pain - but I'm sure these things remind you that God is with you in all of this.

I will continue to remember you all in my prayers.

Love
Heather

Cheeky Ste said...

Thanks it has been a great support knowing people are praying for us and the cards and messages have helped and have meant so much to us all

smiler said...

Lorna and Ste

This will have taken a lot of courage to post something so precious but as you say Abi can be reminded of a special person who will be close to her heart each and everyday.

I will have shared some very special times with your dad and as he began to let you take your next step in life he always gave you memories.

This is going to be a big step, which I know you will cope with because you are all so precious to people you will be supported by everyone.

I never knew your parents but if their anything like you as I guess they will be they are very special people who have a heart of Gold and will accept and watch over everyone whether they are known to them or not.

I will always be here for you no matter what time of day it is

Big hugs to a special family of mine

Love auntie Rach